Light-Tasting Canna-Oil by ‘JeffThe420Chef’
In both of Jeff’s “Light Tasting Canna-butter and Canna-oil recipes, you are removing the chlorophyll and a significant percentage of the terpenes and flavonoids from your cannabis that affect the taste of Canna-butter/oil. The CBD and THC are not affected; in fact, the ‘decarbing’ process activates its benefits.
Number of servings: (8) 1 TBSP servings APPROXIMATE DOSE PER SERVING*
Preparation Time: 10 mins @10%: 30mg
Cooking Time: 4 hours @15%: 45mg
Idle Time: 24 hours + overnight @20%: 60mg
*Note: Cannaoil is approximately 30% more potent than cannabutter
IMPORTANT! Make sure you know the percentage of THC and/or CBD per gram in the flower or bud you are using. You will need this information to properly measure and dose your servings*.
*Please refer to my THC/CBD Calculator to help you estimate the number of milligrams of THC and/or CBD in your recipe.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- Medium/Large sized pot
- Fine mesh strainer and a Tea Strainer
- Bowl filled with ice Water
- French Press coffee maker
- Heat resistant glass dish or baking tin
- Aluminum foil
- Glass bell jar
- 5 oz. Oil (10 Tablespoons)
- ¼ oz. (7g) Cannabis
- Distilled water
STEP 1 – Soak and Blanch Herb
- Coarsely grind dry herb (also known as flower or bud) and soak in Distilled Water for 24 hours. Change the water halfway through. This cleans out a lot of the impurities that cause bad taste.
- The next day, drain the “cleaned” herb in the fine mesh strainer. Rinse with distilled water
- Place the rinsed herb in the tea strainer
- Bring a pot of water to a boil
- Place tea strainer in boiling water for 5 mins
- Immediately remove tea strainer after 5 mins then place in ice water for 1 minute
- Remove from Ice water and pour distilled water over the tea strainer to rinse out any residual impurities
- Remove herb from strainer and wring out excess water
STEP 2 – Dry and Decarb
- Spread cannabis evenly in a large baking pan and loosely cover with foil. Just lay the foil on top of it and let it sit overnight. Your cannabis should be dry by the next morning.
- Preheat oven to 300º
- When dry, crimp down foil and “bake” for 20 mins.
- Remove from oven. Let sit for 5 minutes so THC or CBD vapors can settle back onto the bud
- Remove foil and loosely cover with a couple paper towels. This creates a dark environment with airflow.
- Let pan sit covered with paper towels on the counter overnight to dry.
NOTE: Your FINAL yield will weigh +/-20-40% LESS than your starting weight depending on how moist or dry your cannabis was when you started the process.
3 – Infuse Oil
- Pour oil into French Press placed standing up in a pot of simmering water
- Add decarbed cannabis to oil and cover French press.
- Gently push plunger to just above the oil. This will be your water line.
- Simmer for 3 hours. Check water level every 20 mins to insure the water level is even with the oil
- After 3 hours, plunge press and strain into Bell jar. Your final yield will be about 4 oz.
- Use immediately or refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To re-liquefy oil that has solidified, place oil container in a pot of hot water for 15-20 minutes.
This particular strain, named ‘Charlotte’s Web’ is a Cannabis sativa L. strain with less than 0.3% THC that has gained popularity as an option for treating seizures as well as a range of other medical conditions. This potency is due to its high-CBD content, which was specifically cultivated for a young epileptic patient named Charlotte. This strain is effective with little to no psychoactive effects, making it great for those who don’t want their medication to affect their daily activities.
JeffThe420Chef is a private cannabis chef, medible’s expert and Author of The Ganja Gourmet: The Joy of Cooking with Cannabis (Harper Collins Wave, June 2016). He is also a culinary instructor and media personality. The Daily Beast calls him the Julia Child of Weed, Newsweek calls him the Ganja Gourmet and Elite Daily calls him The King of Edibles. Courtesy : JeffThe420Chef’s “Light Tasting” Cannaoil © 2014 JeffThe420Chef.